Policy and Legislation
ERICSA is instrumental in improving policies, procedures, practices, laws and regulations that deal with all aspects of child support. In keeping with its name, ERICSA seeks to focus special attention on the interstate aspects of child support enforcement through the program support and policy work the Association provides year-round.
ERICSA maintains strong, informal, working relationships with such organizations as:
Policy and Legislation Committee
The Policy & Legislation Committee monitors, analyzes and comments on legislation, policy and regulations. The Committee is responsible for keeping the Board of Directors informed on policy issues and develops Resolutions and Position Papers for Board approval and dissemination to ERICSA members. The Policy & Legislation Committee is responsible for coordinating contacts with congressional representatives and interaction with the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement.
Fair Credit Reporting Act Passed
The federal Child Support Assistance Act of 2015 passed on December 7, 2015. ERICSA supported this legislation as a means to assist child support agencies in the collection of child support payments and in the establishment of realistic child support orders. Passage of this legislation will amend the Fair Credit Reporting Act by removing the 10-day notice requirement given to non-custodial parents before the IV-D agency may obtain his or her credit report. In addition, the changes to the law provide clarity to child support agencies as to the proper use of consumer reports to establish, modify, and enforce child support orders.
Here you will find the resolutions and position papers that have been approved by the ERICSA board. We have also made available archived papers for your convenience.
Board Approved Resolution/Position Papers
- Comments by ERICSA Case Closure Regulations found at 45 CFR §303.11 7-6-22
- Comments by ERICSA on the Notice of Proposed Rule Making Paternity Establishment Percentage Performance Relief Federal Register, Vol. 86, No. 199, pp. 57770-73 RIN 0970-AC86 11-19-21
- S. 534 Letter 11-16-21
- S. 503 Letter 11-16-21
- Comments of the Eastern Regional Interstate Child Support Association to Notice for Public Comment on the Intergovernmental Reference Guide 9-30-21
- ERICSA Letter in Support of PARENTS Act 12-2-19
- Comments by ERICSA on the Proposed Changes to the Federal Standard Intergovernmental Forms OMB control number 0970-0085 11-22-19
- Comments by ERICSA on the Proposed Changes to the Federal Standard Intergovernmental Forms OMB control number 0970-0085 8-16-19
- Comments by ERICSA on the NPRM Child Support Technical Corrections 1-17-19
- Child Support Program Provisions in Farm Bill 10-4-18
- Uniform Parentage Act (2017) - An ERICSA Resolution 4/19/18
- ERICSA's Synopsis Of the Newly Enacted Federal Regulations 3-16-18
- ERICSA's Response to Public Law 113-183 2-27-15ERICSA response to NPRM Flexibility, Efficiency and Modernization 1-16-15
- Uniform Parentage Act 2000 Resolution
- ERICSA UIFSA 2001 Resolution 4-29-02
- ERICSA Position Paper on Federal Budget Initiatives FFY 2007
- ERICSA Comments on DRA 2005 NPRM 03-26-07
- Query Interstate Cases for Kids (QUICK) Resolution 05-10-07
Archived Resolutions/Position Papers
- Legislation Tracking Matrix - 113th Congress (2013 - 2015) that provides easy reference to recent legislation pertaining to the child support program.
- Legislation Tracking Matrix - 112th Congress (2011 - 2013) that provides easy reference to recent legislation pertaining to the child support program.
- Legislation Tracking Matrix - 111th Congress (2009 - 2011) that provides easy reference to past legislation pertaining to the child support program.
Click on the links below for recently passed or newly proposed legislation as well as a breakdown of the major points contained in the Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2009:
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
- The Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2009
- Section by Section Breakdown of the Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2009
- Julia Carson Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2009
- Child Support Protection Act of 2009
Also available for your reference are the following two documents related to the impact of the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005:
- The Lewin Group Report, “Anticipated Effects of the Deficit Reduction Act Provisions on Child Support Program Financing and Performance,” July 20, 2007
- The National Council of Child Support Directors, “Summary of Key Findings: Federal Budget Cuts and the Outlook for Child Support Enforcement,” 2007